 General / 47551
Re: Announcing new Legend!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.lego
Date:
Sat, 8 May 2004 05:21:55 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jeff Shiner wrote:

   I think this is a perfect example of why it is called a “legend”. They are not creating more of the original kits. If they were you could expect the exact same kit... same kit #, same brick colour, same brick material could even be argued. By calling it a legend and providing a new kit # they are simply releasing an new instance of an older, popular kit. In your example you should have both the new and old kits to properly be “complete”.

Exactly. (and Paulo, I didn’t miss your point, read on to see why) To be 9V complete, you have to have BOTH of the stations I cited... despite being the same design, they are a LOT different. Further, to be 9V complete you have to have BOTH metroliners. Despite being the same design, they are a little different. One is the original, the other is a reissue, but it has changed stuff, in some cases because the original parts were not available or whatever.

Now, when the first Legend (the Metroliner) was released, there was a great hue and cry about it, as I recall. (it’s actually ironic, in some ways, if you ask me) There were people that wanted it to be exactly the same as 4558. There were people who were upset that it was at all different. There were people who were upset that it was so close to the same, they wanted it in red or yellow or whatever, any color OTHER than light grey (ala the two stations I cited) because they were concerned about the dilutive effect on their collections or whatever.

I have both Metroliners. In fact I have MISB copies of both, and played with copies of both, and copies that are now merely scattered into my parts bin of both. I was glad to get the legend and I was not upset that it wasn’t exactly the same.

As it turns out I do not have a good copy of 5541, the original hot rod. So I’m looking forward to getting the legend. I’m sure it will be a very good set and worth having. Probably in multiple copies (I haven’t had time to do the Peeron analysis to decide how many copies...) Even with new grey.

You may not agree, Paulo, and that’s your right. Vote with your wallet if you like, but I’m not sure, even when one uses “English is not my native language” as an excuse, that your original post was all that useful. This set is a Legend because LEGO says it is. There’s not much more to say about it.

I think we all get the color thing now. There are fans that aren’t happy about the color change. There are fans that say they are going to drop out or aren’t going to buy stuff. Fine. (we’ll see how long that lasts) But this discussion isn’t generating any new info, is it? Further, it’s giving Jake more grief than he deserves.

Yes, yes, it’s the job of a CSR to take crud from customers. But I mean, really... it’s gone past the point of ridiculous.