 General / 46388
Re: Parts Catalog 0.0.37 can now make labels
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.storage, lugnet.db.inv, lugnet.inv
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 2004 02:29:13 GMT

In lugnet.general, Bob Kojima wrote:
   Parts Catalog 0.0.37 can now make labels for your part bins.

i just finished adding label printing to Parts Catalog. Incase you don’t know Parts Catalog is a program used to make inventories. it imports and exports lots of different formats and is really good for making inventories for peeron.

Label printing uses LDraw .dat files to render the part images so you must have LDraw installed and you must set the LDraw directory in Parts Catalog. Press the ‘more’ button on the bottom right of the main screen to set the directory. Make an inventory with the parts you want labels for (don’t forget to choose the color you want) then press the label button.

Now choose the layout color and fonts for the label. The scale and x,y,z rotation of the LDraw image can be changed too. Then pick the template you want the label printed on. Check the preview to see if everything looks good then print.

Parts catalog can be downloaded here: http://klickitat.fial.com/bob/partscatalog/

Very cool, and much needed. There was some other labeling software that could make Onyx-style labels, but it seems to have disappeared. I’ll have to use this this weekend (when I visit my parents, they-who-have-a-printer).

There are some additional features that would be nice:
  • The ability to customize each label treatment. For example, part 6056 won’t fit on any label I would use unless it’s rotated horizontal, but that would look strange for other parts. Since Parts Catalog always starts using the labels in the upper right hand corner, I can’t just use different settings and feed the paper through the printer multiple times1. 2

  • The ability to indicate multiple parts on a label. Also, to one part pictured but with colors indicated across the top (maybe a continuum for all colors, and discrete color bars for a limited choice of colors?3).

  • The ability to use Parts Catalog’s usual alternatives (.jpgs, .gifs, .pngs) when LDraw images aren’t available.
Thanks again for a great extension to a great program!

TWS Garrison

1 Well, I can do it twice. . .

2 Now that I think of it, it would be kinda clever if, when you’re making the inventory that will yield the labels, the QTY field could specify which label on the sheet that part should go on. That might even be a good way to get multiple parts on one label. . .

3 In other words, like Onyx http://onyx.malagraphixia.com/Storage/LegoStorage.htm