 General / 45162
Re: Ikros and Copyright Infringement
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 1 Feb 2004 00:08:47 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Anthony Sava wrote:
I recently recieved an email from The Creative Assembly, makers of the game
Shogun:Total War.

This is the same game from which I used the music for my fourth movie, the
'Garadaine Movie' for my website.  They claim that I infringed on their
copyright, and I have been forced to remove the movie from my website.

While granted the song I used was their property, I had edited and mixed it,
which I thought was good enough to keep my nose clean.  My mistake.  I have been
told by another AFOL that it would be ok if I had changed the music by 20%.  I
have no idea how much 20% is in this situation, so I plan to just replace the
music in the movie.

On top of that, the music was encapsulated permanently inside the movie, which
is the nature of Flash, so the music could never be distributed without the
movie as well.  Distribution is distribution I suppose.

It's a shame that companies feel the need to pick on non-profit individuals.

In any case, my movie is offline.

--Anthony

Just so you know the tag below line is assumed under copyright
law and does need to appear.

"...may not reproduce in whole or in part without prior permission..."

The amount you my use in your movies is 0%. That's the rules.
Not one single drum beat. Nor can you play it your self and
put it in the movie without permission from the composer.

What you want to do is head down to the store and pick
up 'License and Royalty Free' music and sounds. They
often cost a bit more than regular CD's. These you *may*
use. And there is a lot of good ones from sound effects
to whole songs that may be used for adding fun to your
movies. No issues no nasty letters. Hope this helps.

Best
DaveG