 General / 44636
Re: 4405 Blue tub (1305 pieces) now available from S@H (UK)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.market.shopping, lugnet.loc.se
Date:
Sat, 3 Jan 2004 18:52:33 GMT

If this truly is a way to get rid of surplus, I could see the "extra" pieces
changing. They're not printed on the bin unlike the first 400 (or 700, depending
on the bin) so they could be changed without major impact to production...

On a trip into Germany I found the 4405 bin. It was new to me, and once opened I
was surprised by the remarkable piece selection of the 305 extra's. So now I
found the above discussion, I 'd like to add two observations/speculations:
- The inventory on the side of the bin indeed shows only the regular contents.
But the printed cardboard on top does shows the extra pieces strinkingly
correctly. So while this is probably TLG inventory surplus, the selection isn't
random and wasn't intended to change over time.
- The parts selection has strinking resemblance to the parts in the recently
emerged european pick-a-brick cardboard boxes. This adds to the theory that TLG
is experimenting with multiple ways to sell their surplus inventory, which must
have contained astounding amounts of some pieces. An interesting question is
whether this large surplus was due to a one-time error (or circumstance) or
results from the regular production operations (so we will see new batches in
coming years.)

Eric