 General / 42987
Re: New poll: how do you handle building interiors, backsides
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 5 Sep 2003 02:01:02 GMT

In lugnet.general, Bruce Hietbrink wrote:
Hi all,

I figured I'd try putting up a poll for those of you who build buildings.  I
guess the main question I'm getting at is do you build buildings more for
display (how they look as backdrop for your brickfilm or train layout or
whatever), or more for functionality and playability, or somewhere in between.
Anyway, here's the link:
http://members.lugnet.com/polls/ballots/?n=168

Great question...

Or, you can just post a follow up to this telling me how flawed my poll is.  ;)

Since you included "Some other option and/or this poll is flawed." it's not
flawed. :-) See how that works? :-)

What I usually do with buildings wasn't a poll choice: The building has 4 walls,
and should look OK from all sides, the roof is removable but it does not split
open. For multistories I sometimes layer (ala Kevin Wilson's Painted Lady) and
sometimes only detail certain stories. (Yard Tower only has a detailed second
story). I admit that if I am in a hurry I may omit interior details if the
building is not going to be at the visible edge of layouts.

However my one commercial kit building so far (Skyline Chili (tm) ) has a
removable roof AND it splits open... as you can see here:
http://www.miltontrainworks.com/item_info_4001.html#MTW-4001-sky
in particular this pic:
http://www.miltontrainworks.com/images/SKYsplitKitchen.jpg
or this pic:
http://www.miltontrainworks.com/images/SKYsplitBoth.jpg

I did it that way because it was hard to manipulate the details with just one or
the other accessibility option, if you have adult sized fingers, and adults were
my target market.