 General / 41927
Re: Obnoxious over-reaction vs. sugar coating
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 18 Apr 2003 19:17:50 GMT

In lugnet.general, Mike Rayhawk writes:
In lugnet.general, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:
In lugnet.general, Mike Rayhawk writes:
It gets worse: Lego, computer message boards, gaming.  The last is damning!

lol

I was hoping someone would pick up on that!  It's like the triple crown of
geekdom.

I just got a huge 5' by 9' green indoor/outdoor carpet for a Fantasy Rules!
miniatures battle with Lego.  Geek, geek, geek.  Still, I could ratchet it
up one more notch by using a game actually designed for Lego (which I keep
meaning to do).

So, I guess I am one of the people that you view as someone jumping on
legitimate criticism since I effectively disagreed with Tom.

Well no, you're one of the people I view as ignoring the criticism and going
straight to jumping on Tom.  Nothing wrong with that, since you seem to have
a legitimate beef with him informed by years of experience.  Probably Tim
was coming from the same point of view, I just didn't know it at the time; I
hadn't realized Tom was such a notorious character and had built up such a
stock of ill will.

This is actually correct - I ignored the criticism and went straight for
Tom.  Mostly because I felt it would be belaboring the point: disapproval
and apologies had been given on several fronts already.  Since from that
standpoint, I didn't see what repeating that accomplished, I refrained.  But
to establish the context, yes, I find whining about lack of response not
particularly adult, but then again, not every poster is an adult (In
retrospect, I was harsher on Tim in one exchange than I feel was fair to
someone who was 17 at the time.  He wrote so well that it disguised his age,
but had I known I would have given him more slack).

I was writing responses to the rest, but since they were all pretty much in
agreement with what you said, I'll leave it at that.

-->Bruce<--