 General / 41897
    how odd!!!! —James Stacey
   have LEGO run out of colouring pigment ?? (URL) have been well played with, but still have lots of clutch, but appear to have missed out on colour. Some of them have grey remenents wierd -- James Stacey ---...--- www.minifig.co.uk #925 - I'm a (...) (21 years ago, 17-Apr-03, to lugnet.general)

        Re: how odd!!!! —John Gerlach
     (...) Those certainly are strange! My first thought is that they might be what some of my friends call "hand moulds". Apparently when Lego creates/gets a new mould, they test it in something other than a full-blown production machine. Probably at a (...) (21 years ago, 18-Apr-03, to lugnet.general)

         Re: how odd!!!! —James Stacey
     they appear to be exactly the same as normal bricks, in feel, composition and weight. Just no colour. "John Gerlach" <gmltc_j1@nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message news:HDJKJx.t59@lugnet.com... (...) appear (...) a (...) something... (...) (21 years ago, 21-Apr-03, to lugnet.general)

        Re: how odd!!!! —Trevor Pruden
     (...) Looks like a color change to me. The red and green pieces are tell-tail signs of color change for sure. The more clear stuff looks like a different resin altogether. You would get that from a barrel purge....it's common to use acrylic as a (...) (21 years ago, 18-Apr-03, to lugnet.general)

         Re: how odd!!!! —Stefan Garcia
     (...) Did these all come from the same set? Or was it a bundle of different old sets? (...) While we would all love for Lego to make 100% perfect bricks, I don't think this ought to be seen as a serious breach of quality control. If they were all in (...) (21 years ago, 19-Apr-03, to lugnet.general)

         Re: how odd!!!! —James Stacey
     (...) sets? (...) think (...) were (...) bricks (...) of (...) They came in a load of old mixed bricks brought at a car boot sale (like a garage sale if your not british :) ) I can only assume they were liberated from a factory somewhere, as 70 odd (...) (21 years ago, 21-Apr-03, to lugnet.general)

         Re: how odd!!!! —Thomas Stangl
     The tannish bricks are raw ABS with no pigmenting, so they were probably snuck out of one of the plants, or someone threw them in a trash bin instead of shredding them. They were most likely test runs of a mold or the entire molding process - why (...) (21 years ago, 22-Apr-03, to lugnet.general)

         Re: how odd!!!! —David Laswell
     (...) They do indeed appear to be raw ABS. The company I work for has one customer who wants parts made in antimicrobial ABS with the intent of painting them afterwards, so we decided not to waste money on having the sheet colored. It all comes in (...) (21 years ago, 27-Apr-03, to lugnet.general)

        Re: how odd!!!! —Andy Lynch
     Well, whatever else they are, they look like they are quite old. I don't think that the molds for the 2 x 4 bricks have the injection points on the ends like that any more. I can remember when I was a kid, those points ( dots, really) annoyed me (...) (21 years ago, 19-Apr-03, to lugnet.general)

        Re: how odd!!!! —William R. Ward
   (...) The uncolored bricks might be transparent bricks that have been very badly yellowed. I have some that are almost that bad. Note that these appear to be very old bricks, due to the mold release point on the ends of the bricks. --Bill. (21 years ago, 8-May-03, to lugnet.general)