 General / 41564
Re: Cool Lego Site of the Week question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 24 Mar 2003 20:53:43 GMT

I don't vote because I can't.  I don't think that CLSOTW should be limited
to members only, but alas, I have given up the arguement after I was shot
down at admin.suggestions.  Oh well. Just look to the newfound sucess of
Minifig Hall of Fame, I would say opening voting up for everyone would mean
lots of votes!  Not to cry for the dead, but here is my whole  opinion on
LCSOTW... http://news.lugnet.com/admin/suggestions/?n=394

In lugnet.general, Bruce Hietbrink writes:
So, why do so few people vote on CLSotW?  Back in December there were over 20
per poll (with 23, 26, 37, and 32 responses for those four weeks).  After that
it has dropped: 27, 13, 17, 20, 9, 14, 13, and coming in this week at a
whopping 6.

I know that back when CLSotW seemed to die before there were some who said that
every cool site had already been chosen.  But I would argue that a glance
through the picks since CLSotW came back proves otherwise.  Even some important
and popular sites from before like Peeron hadn't been picked by that point, and
some really popular sites have sprung up in the last 18 months like the Brick
Testament and the BI Portal.  I would agree that each week there are some in
the poll that don't match up to the others, but I am constantly surprised by
some of the new sites, or at least sites that are new to me.

Is it that it takes too long to vote?  Other polls (including profoundly flawed
polls) seem to get more votes, and those are often hard to find.  CLSotW is
linked off the front page.  Granted, it takes a little bit to click through an
unfamiliar site, but isn't discovering new Lego creations part of why we are
all here?

Anyway, I'd just like to urge people to vote more.  CLSotW is probably the only
ongoing community-wide recognition of people's creations (as opposed to more
periodic contests or recognitions in smaller segments of the community).  But
if only six people are actually voting, it doesn't really mean as much.

Bruce