 Administrative / Suggestions / 394
Re: Rebirth of Cool LEGO Site of the Week
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Thu, 4 Jul 2002 08:16:09 GMT

First, I must say, hooray!

I was deep in my dark ages when I first came across Lugnet.  I did some
coming back every now and then to see the new CLSOTW.  18 months later I
come back, fully out of my dark ages and see my favorite thing I remembered
from my passive renaissance, the CLSOTW, gone!  So now, I am happy again!

My thoughts:

<ranting on>
First off, why should you limit this to members only?  Many people, like me,
can't drop the money for a membership, or aren't allowed by their parents
(both are me).  Why should you stop us, the wanna-be members who one day
will become members, from participating in this?  Lugnet only has
approximately. 1500 members, but many, many more non-members visit while
lurking or posting. I don't know what the true stats are, but lots of people
must come here from links, searches and word of mouth.  I could foresee more
that 3000 people per day, and about 350 of those are daily visitors, 2000
weekly.  Why do you exclude people from what is already becoming a central
activity in the online Lego fan world? Would Todd want it like that? CLSOTW
was here before Lugnet, so why should only Lugnet Members control it now?
<venting done, ranting off>

Here is how I suggest to make both parties happy:

(Week 1, Saturday on...)
1. Anyone who wants to makes a notion for a site to be nominated.  This is
posted in a special group (say Lugnet.CLSOTW) and cannot be crossposted to
any other group.

(Week 1, through Tuesday)
2. At least three Lugnet members need to, in a reply to the original
nomination, second (& third & fourth) the notion.

(Week 1, Friday)
3. When this is done, the CLSOTW admin double-checks that the submission
follows these guidelines:

-Must be of Lego Orientation
-The site or folder is at least three months old
-Site or folder hasn't been awarded the CLSOTW this past year
-Site or folder hasn't been nominated in the past month
-If it has won or been nominated before, it must have recent updates since then.
-It must have a Lugnet link or Logo on the site*
-Can Handle Massive Bandwidth**
-Doesn't Sell Stuff, i.e.: GOB(tm) Web Site.***

*Exception, B-Shelf galleries.
** From TJ's post: http://news.lugnet.com/admin/suggestions/?n=383
*** Sorry guys, your stuff is awesome but why should Lugnet make you money?
Post it is a b-shelf folder and then it can be nominated.

If it meets requirements, the admin posts the nomination to the queue page
for the x week (x week being the following week)  Only the first ten
successful nominations will be allowed.

(Week 2, all week to Friday)
4. Members now narrow it down to 5 submissions by voting.

(Week 3, all week through Friday 12PM GMT)
Public voting begins.  (see ballot stuffing below)

(Week 3, Friday 12AM GMT)
Admin announce CLSOTW for Week X of Year Y

(Week 4, Friday 11:59PM GMT)
The current CLSOTW has it's last minute of fame, or does it? See below...

As you see, this plan allows for everyone to be involved while Members still
have lots of control over it.  CLSOTW Admin only need to work on Fridays.
Also, this allows for new stuff each week, unlike in the old CLSOTW where
some sites just stayed there for long periods of time stagnating the content
and boring us all.

Other thoughts...

Ballot Stuffing:
It is an unstoppable evil.  Make a limit, 1 vote per unique IP, and hope for
people to be honest and not vote every time they change their IP.

----New Name for CLSOTW:
Yes please, things have changed, and CLSOTW as a name is no longer as fitting.

        Lego Users Weekly Community Choice Award
        Lugnet Weekly Community Choice Award
        Lugnet Community Site of the Week
        Weekly Digital Brick Award
        Digital Brick Site of the Week
        Brick-Click Site of the Week (My Fave)

----Allow B-Shelf Galleries:
As you can guess from above, yes!

----Cool Lego Site Of The Year (or whatever) awards:
Every Month, Members may choose there favorite site from the month past
month on a separate page just for them. These stats saved and kept secret.
Every year, the Members are allowed to see their choices, and within those,
vote to choose their favorites for the past year in three categories,
CLSOTY: Best Site Design, CLSOTY: Best MOC Showcase, CLSOTY: Best
Story/Theme Site. Then, the public will vote on these final three to award
CLSOTY: Community Choice Award. (THE BEST)

----Prizes:
$2 off any NEW Lugnet memberships for two runner ups and $5 for winner.
Also, community members may add to the pot.

To finish, I believe that this is a community thing, so keep it a community
thing!  Members may have the control they want while letting the public play
a great part.

~just your neighborhood lugneter,
Jeremy Scott