 General / 4152
Re: Old Lego colors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 14 May 1999 17:07:06 GMT

Kevin Wilson wrote:

Selcuk wrote:
Maybe specific to this sets, but plates were a rare
thing, too. This set has only a 4x8 and two 2x8 plates at all.

I think that's right. My old lego had no colored plates of any size, but
we did have white plates (with square holes underneath) in 4x8, 6x8
(just one) and 2x8. There were also some 4x8 with curved corners. I used
to think there were smaller white plates too, but when I came to look at
them closely recently, I realised that they were 2x8's cut up carefully
with a fine saw - my Dad probably did it for us.

Kevin

Even though LEGO plates came out in 1963 (1x1 & 1x2, 2x2, 2x3, 2x4 in parts
packs 521, 520, 519 and 518 respectively), parts packs were the only way to
purchase them at the time.  The basic sets back then only carried the 2x8,
4x8, 6x8 and the right and left 4x8 curved plates.  These plates were
available only in white!

Gary Istok