 General / 4140
Re: Old Lego colors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 14 May 1999 06:49:23 GMT

Kevin Wilson <70641.507@compuserve.com> wrote in message
<373A3D5F.B68B7A79@compuserve.com>...
Gary's question about the red stripe reminded me of something. Take a
look at those pics of the old sets: note the preponderance of red and
white, and then yellow. My memories of my childhood lego in the
60's/early 70's are that the blue bricks we had were *special*, rare,
and newer than the rest and even more so the black ones. Did Lego
originally start with just red and white, or red/white/yellow, and add
blue and black later?

Kevin

My first set was a 1968 Universal set (033 - not in lugnet database yet)
given to me in 1975 or 1976. Since it was my only set till 1979, I'm
strongly remembering that it has mainly consisting of red and white, a small
number of yellows (only a few 2x4's, 2x2's and 1x2's, in the order of 4-6
pieces each), and very few numbers of black (2-4 of 1x2's and 4-6 of 2x2's)
and blue (6 of 2x4's). It's clear piece count is even more than back/blue
bricks. Only brick that is not having the 5 basic colors (+clear) is the
gray 10x20 basebrick. Maybe specific to this sets, but plates were a rare
thing, too. This set has only a 4x8 and two 2x8 plates at all.

Selçuk