 General / 41361
41360  |  41362
Subject:
Coming soon, Free web hosting for MOCs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.publish, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 2003 21:44:04 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Over the past few months I've been building a web service that will allow
anyone to create their own mini web site for their MOCs.  It's free, you can
make unlimited pages, there are no annyoing ads or pop-ups, and it's easy --
you don't even need to know HTML.

The site is called MOCpages, and will be located at http://www.mocpages.com .

I've been thinking for a while that it might be nice for people to have some
central, "permanent" place to link together their pictures, message threads,
building instructions, cad, sales, etc.  (Especially since your creations
can get "lost in the shuffle" on Brickshelf and Lugnet after they've been up
for a while.

If everything goes as planned, I expect to launch on April 1.  (If anyone is
interested in trying it out over the next few weeks and helping report bugs
to me, please reply to this message or email me, and I'll get in touch with
you with more informaton.)

What do you get?  You get your own web site, hosted under the "mocpages.com"
domain, with your own search engine.   People who visit your site can vote
and write reviews.  One of the coolest things is the "directory", where you
can list your MOCs by subject (like Yahoo!), so you don't get "lost in the
shuffle".   I also structured the architecture of the site to help search
engines like Google, Yahoo!, MSN, (etc) index your pages, so that your pages
will come up in web searches.

What *don't* you get?   For now, no image hosting.  Your pages can work with
your Brickshelf galleries very easily, though.   I don't have the disk space
available to undergo a big image-hosting project, and besides, Brickshelf is
already a great service for everyone.   What else: you also don't get
"blank slate" web hosting, for you web designer pros.  The pages are
template-based, to make things fast & easy for the masses.  You can use
pretty much any kind of HTML, but the site will automatically build your
menus, headers, footers, and things.

I guess that's everything.  I've spent the last few months building this
site, and I hope that it's something everyone will be interested in using.

I will post updates on lugnet.publish as things progress.

Comments?  Questions?  Hope to hear from you guys.

Later,
Sean

---
sean@mocpages.com