 General / 40839
Re: Columbia
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 1 Feb 2003 18:42:33 GMT

In lugnet.space, Tony Knaak writes:
It is haunting that the challenger discussion was just brought up in this
group, now more disaster. I just witnessed the footage on television and I
and humbled and saddened. My heart goes out to the families of the crew. May
this remind us how the path to space is paved by heros and how daunting a
task it is to conquer.

     VERY haunting, and especially creepy for me.  I've always known that an
Apollo mission blew up on the launch pad on the day I was born, January 27,
1967.  I always had an interest in space exploration, fueled by science
fiction (especially Star Trek) and great scientists like Carl Sagan, and
took this grave accident as a reminder of how important it is to not only
continue this exploration, but to expand it.  The disturbing loss of the
Challenger on the day after my 20th birthday again cemented this idea into
my head.  Monday was my 36th birthday, and here, only 5 days later, we
suffer through the Columbia loss.
     I know it's only coincidence that these three tragedies happened within
a 5-day window of my birthdays, but it creeps me out nonetheless.  Maybe
there's a palpable reason that this specific time of year is deadly to space
exploration?  I don't know.  We've lost 17 valuable, wonderful people and
three incredible vehicles, each time scarring the world community's quest
for knowledge while pushing the boundaries of that knowledge.  I pray that
the families of those lost will find some comfort, and that we as a world
community will continue to expand our role in space exploration and development.
     On this special day when I finally got the Space Jambalaya box in my
home to play with, I think it very touching and appropriate to post the
crew's picture in their memory.  May these 7 lost pioneers, the 10 that went
before them in the previous January disasters, and all those others lost in
our quest for growth and understanding inspire us and commit us to never let
go of the search for truth.  Anything less than our attention, vigor, and
action would dishonor these important pioneers.

Peace and Long Life,
Tony Alexander