 General / 40158
Re: Feedback thoughts?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 21:32:32 GMT

In lugnet.general, David Eaton writes:
In lugnet.general, James Harkness writes:
Yeah I wasn't here when that happened and if they tok away the
authentication process it would probably start up again there are always
pests. I would just prefer if i could login and by my ip address I would be
authenticated or however login systems work.

The best way to work it is really to have a username/password. Short of
that, email's about the only secure way to work authentication, since you
can fake your IP, news reader ID, email headers, etc.

If you would like to avoid the authentication process, you can get a Lugnet
username/password for $10 by signing up to be a Lugnet member. Then, as long
as you log in and post via the web interface, you don't have to go through
the bother of authenticating each post.

Additionally, once you are a Lugnet member, when you sign in, you can choose
to have a cookie stored in your browser for the session, for a time period,
or forever.  If you choose forever, you never have to log in again as long
as you use the same browser.  This makes posting via the web completely
seemless and trouble free.

I know not everyone can afford to join, but the one-time cost of joining is
actually quite low compared to other online clubs, and it goes towards
upkeep for the site we all use.

Cheers,
-Hendo