 General / 3998
Re: Corrections to LUGNET Sets Database.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 6 May 1999 19:15:37 GMT

Joshua Delahunty wrote:

Gary Istok wrote:

I've been browsing the LUGNET sets database recently, and found a few
omissions and changes that need to be made in the early Samsonite sets.
Who do I contact to correct these?

Here are what needs changing:

The following sets list 1967 as the start date for the sets, but the
date should read 1961:
#702, 703, 705, 708, 711, 717, 725.

Note that they list "+1967", short-hand for "1967 is the earliest
reference we currently have.

I'm glad you noticed them.  You're much more expert than I am to comment
on the release date.  The "+" is specifically there to make it stand out
and catch the attention of those who'd "know better" than us.

Sets 717 (Junior Constructor), 725 (Town Plan), and 246 (Town Plan
Board) all had 2 completely different sets under the same name and
number.

The early (1961- early 1962) version of these sets are seen (Bill
Katz/Joe Lauher site) here:

http://www.chem.sunysb.edu/msl/LEGO/60s_d2.jpg

This is the same page that the scans are clipped from.  It's that a 1967
on the page?

The later (late 1962 to 1964) version of these sets are seen (Bill
Katz/Joe Lauher site) here:

http://www.chem.sunysb.edu/msl/LEGO/60s_e2.jpg

These are (with the exception of the Town Plan Board) totally different
models and streetscapes, and should probably both be listed, yes/no?.

The above series (702-725) has been fixed from +1967 to 1961 (with your
name listed internally as the source, Gary).

I'm holding off on the duplicate 717 and 725 (even though the 717 we
have seems to be the later version) until you comment on the "1967" date
on that sheet.

Gary Istok

P.S.  The only way that I know the early/late 1962 dates is because I
have a November 11, 1962 New Yorker full page advertisement on LEGO that
shows the newer version of these sets, which I think came out for the
holidays that year.

Normally, this should have gone to lugnet.admin.database; however I've
left it in plain view in lugnet.general to encourage anyone else who
spots inaccuracies (and has verifiable fixes to reference) to post fixes
to lugnet.admin.database

                                        -- joshua

Thanks for the reply Joshua (and thanks especially for all the work in keeping
the databases updated!).  The next thread will go to lugnet.admin.database.

I studied that page (from the supposed 1961 Samsonite Catalog) on the
website.  I assume you're referring to the very small print in the bottom left
hand corner of the small catalog.  From what I can make out this is what I
think it says:

V1867
PAT. PEND
(not readable) ... IN USA

I've got a mint copy of this brochure at home, and will check it out tonight.
But I'm pretty sure that it doesn't say 1967.  (Bill Katz, what do you
think?)  One of the frustrating things about 1950's and 1960's LEGO
catalogs/boxes/instructions is that there are no dates on them.  In Horst
Lehner's excellect European Catalog website, dates are determined by the LEGO
Dealer who happened to write the year down on his/her catalogs every year (or
so it appears).

For me, dating Samsonite is easier because I was a kid in the early Samsonite
era.  I remember receiving the (later) Junior Constructor (717) as a Christmas
gift in 1963.
Another interesting item about early Samsonite is that some large sets did not
have instructions as a separate item.  They were put onto the inside of the
box top.  They did come with the above small catalogs, however.   And parts
counts were NEVER displayed anywhere within the set.

Gary Istok