 General / 39542
Re: New poll
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 20:36:02 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jeremy Scott writes:
YES, YOU SEE MY POINT!!!

(there I go yelling again.  :-P )

Um well what I said was "Yes they took my suggestion but yes they'll never
admit it for legal reasons." Pretty much I was saying that Lego makes what
they can sell.  I, and many others, suggested a WildWest line.  Lego saw
there was a demand and they took the suggestion.  However, they will never
admit that because it would be a legal nightmare so I understand why!

Can you prove that you were the first and/or only person who suggested it?
You do understand that even if you were, you'd have no legal recourse even
if they admited such (well, you could try but it would fail).  There is
nothing patentable, trademarkable, or copyrightable about, "make a cowboys
line".

If you wrote a specific cowboy scenario that they used, you'd have a case.
if you submitted a specific set design, especially with new pieces that they
used, you'd have a case.

Whoever read your suggestion may not have been the person who decided on a
cowboys line.  Plans may have already existed and they didn't want
competitors to know what was coming, so they denied its existence.  They may
have been watching a Roy Rogers festival and said, "Hey, let's do a cowboys
line - but lose those ridiculous sequin shirts."  I can come up a lot more
scenarios where you suggestion had nothing to do with their decisions.  That
I have suggested a Greco-Roman theme here on Lugnet does not obligate Lego
to compensate me or even acknowledge the suggestion if they do such a line
(even assuming I was the first, which seems doubtful).  They wouldn't have
ripped me off in some subtle or overt fashion.  There are lots of things to
criticize Lego for, I just don't think this is one of them.

Bruce