 General / 39541
Re: New poll
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 15:51:42 GMT

TLC has claimed in the past that it takes several years to develop a new
theme idea, create pieces and sets, and do market research before they
release a new theme.  It could be pure coincidence that some kids suggested
Pirates or Wild West ideas a year or two before they were released.
Likewise, some *other* kid may have given them the idea years before any of
us.  I know I suggested Romans to them when I was 16, thinking it a novel
idea.  But now I understand that many others have suggested the same.

Another, perhaps stronger, argument in TLC's favor is that they may well
have been inspired by their competitors.  Look at the other big European
toy: Playmobile.  Playmobile had a pirate ship, cowboys, and Indians
(Hollywoodesque ones anyway) back in the 70's and 80's, before the similar
themes from TLC.  Playmobile also experimented with some space themes too.
I suspect that Pirates and Cowboys are simply traditional toy themes that
any toy company is likely to consider at some point.

As for copying people's Star Wars MOCs, well you must admit that there is a
lot of crossover between SW loving geekdom and Lego collecting (I mean that
in a good way).  There have been people making MOCs of SW and Star Trek
things for over a decade now.  No one person can take credit.  When TLC
decided to market such sets, some of their models may seem similar to other
people's MOCs, but that is because the medium is the same.

However, there is one exception to this: Microfig scale.  When I first saw a
microfig scale MOC, it was a series of SW ships (I forget who did them)
posted on rtl.  Prior to that, I would never have conceived of using Lego
elements that way or at that scale.  Even now, I can hardly fathom how to do
it.  And I suspect my inability to understand it results from the standard
construction techniques I learned from TLC (indirectly).  So, that said, I
find it hard to believe that TLC spontaneously started building Microfig
sets, especially for Star Wars, without some direct influence from a certain
few builders in the AFOL community.

Still, being influenced or inspired by an artist is not the same as stealing
their ideas.  If the model is different in some way, we must argue in favor
of TLC.  Don't forget, they *did* give credit to Daniel Siskand (sp?) for
the Blacksmith Shop...

-Hendo, who is still waiting for those Roman sets at age 30...