 General / 39001
Re: Question Time!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 19 Oct 2002 23:20:45 GMT

In lugnet.general, Scott E. Sanburn writes:
Timothy & All,

I've got two questions for everyone out there.

Gotta love questions! : )

1). How many of you have unintentionally broken legos, and if so, how many?
This may seem like a stupid question, but in thinking about all of my legos, I
have only three broken pieces, over the span of 22 years and a lot of legos.

Well, I have had over 27 years of collecting, and around 350,000+ parts
(1300-1400 sets?) and I have seen some broken parts. Well, bent antennas
come to mind, like on the Space Police 1 sets where they use the trans-red
antennas for bars, and sometimes the sets bend those. I have also seen older
parts, say the 1x1 transparent pieces, just basically crack and crumble, it
might be an age issue there. So it does happen, rarely. I have also seen
older minifigs develop mini cracks from age and normal use. I think some of
the TECHNIC parts also wear out and that kind of thing.

Ah...drats. I belive I may have spoken WAAAY too soon. As I've followed this
thread, I've realized that I've got WAY more than three broken pieces...some of
the old old dark red translucent shields have broken handles, as well as 1x1
clips, and some flag clips...but alas, I still believe lego to be one of the
most durable toys ever created.

2). That brings me to my second question...does anyone have a formula for
calculating the exact size of a lego collection? I can't even begin to imagine
how big mine is...how do other folks figure this out?

Another good question. I starting tracking my collection using LUGNET'S set
accumulator in 1999, which is very helpful in finding out how many sets you
have. Recently, I have started tracking my LUGNET list with Excel, I
imported the LUGNET file into Excel, and then started putting in some other
information like price, and minifig count, themes, that kind of thing. I
update both now, so I can have that information.

I also started another Excel sheet with my other non set purchases, such as
Bricklink, E-bay, drafts, raiding other peoples finds, etc. I track cost and
part counts, so I will in the end have a pretty good guess of what I have. I
can also see the average of what I pay per part. It is neat to see how much
I pay for Futuron torsos. : )

I also printed out all my Brickbay / Bricklink orders since last year, and
am slowly adding them to the file. I think I am up to May or June 2001,
where I got a lot of yellow tiles for my Shell Station. : )

All in all, I guess it is just part of a LEGO addicts life, where it is good
to have a rough idea of what you have. I am sure one day someone will
implement a tracking system that combines what I am doing now, all set
purchases, grabs them from LUGNET, Peeron, etc. and allows you the ability
to see how many of sets, parts, etc. you have, and add items like Bricklink
purchases. Until then, I will use mine. : )

Scott Sanburn
--

But...to put it politely, I'm "math challanged". I simply hate it, and doing
any large amounts of caluclations makes me head swim. I suppose I'll just let