 General / 38975
Re: Question Time!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 12:17:28 GMT

In lugnet.general, Steve Burge writes:
1). How many of you have unintentionally broken legos, and if so, how many?
This may seem like a stupid question, but in thinking about all of my legos, I
have only three broken pieces, over the span of 22 years and a lot of legos.

   I find pieces do seem to break during the processes of building and
sorting. Only yesterday did I break a 1x1 plate w. clip on my 6080 just by
putting a Halberd into it.

Ah...interesting. Perhaps it's the quality of the plastic used in new sets?
(I recently saw some simply horrid plastic on a free-MacDonalds give away
set...and I was saddened that Lego would put their name on such a thing...).
I've had one car frame, the edge of one 4x8 plate, and one red window frame
get mushed...other than that, my legos have been damn sturdy.

2). That brings me to my second question...does anyone have a formula for
calculating the exact size of a lego collection? I can't even begin to imagine
how big mine is...how do other folks figure this out?

   Well, I keep a list of all the sets I own, plus I have all my sorted
spare pieces stored in a database. So all I have to do is add the number of
pieces in each set to the number of pieces in my database and hey-presto!
It's probably not totally accurate, but gives me a good idea.

Interesting...but I've been collecting for so long and have bought bulk and
collections of off people over the years that I would be hard pressed to
even come close to even just the sets that I own, but that is a good way to
estimate..