 General / 38976
Re: Question Time!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 15:27:38 GMT

In lugnet.general, Timothy Wade writes:
I've got two questions for everyone out there.

1). How many of you have unintentionally broken legos, and if so, how many?
This may seem like a stupid question, but in thinking about all of my legos, I
have only three broken pieces, over the span of 22 years and a lot of legos.

After 24 years and 50,000+ pieces, I have a small handful of broken bits in
one box.  Early on, a number of 1X1 Trans-Red plates and 1X1 Trans Red &
Green cylinders were broken (Classic Space stuff; seems the trans pieces
could break with lots of use).  Also, the early style horse saddles (circa
1984-87?) which had clips that were rounded rather than squarish could break
if weapons or tools were inserted with horizontal force rather than
vertically sliding them on.  Some of the square flags (Black Falcons,
Pirates, etc.) could suffer from this too.

Finally, there were some wings and slopes that were permanently damaged
during a highly competitive car ramming competition back in 1991.  The goal
was to keep your vehicle intact after rolling across a floor into other
players' cars.  But when a car was destroyed, a player could build a whole
new one.  So after several days of play, the designs were so tight and solid
that rather than pieces breaking off the models, they were literally just
breaking.  Naturally, I stopped the game shortly thereafter.

Still, after all that, I probably only have maybe twenty or so pieces that
have been broken, excluding any bought already broken from yard sales.

2). That brings me to my second question...does anyone have a formula for
calculating the exact size of a lego collection? I can't even begin to imagine
how big mine is...how do other folks figure this out?

Do you know what sets you have purchased over the years?  If you still have
the boxes, you can add up the amounts shown there, or in the S@H catalogues.
If not, if you are a Lugnet member, you can go to your personal page and
click on what sets you have and it will give a total at the bottom of sets
and pieces.  You kinda have to estimate any additional pieces from yard
sales, flea markets, etc.  Getting an exact figure is arguablly impossible
since there are some things like hinges and mini-figures that have never
been clearly defined as one or more pieces.

Cheers,
-Hendo