 General / 38602
  Semi-OT: Need info on domain name purchasing

Hey all, Since the update to my website and my posts to .castle and .space, I got an e-mail from my ISP, Earthlink, telling me that I've used 75% of my alloted bandwith. If I exceed it they'll shut my site down for the rest of the month: Dear (...) (22 years ago, 23-Sep-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Semi-OT: Need info on domain name purchasing

(...) <snip> (...) You probably already know, but registering a domain name and getting more bandwidth are two different things. You can get more bandwidth, more webspace, or more hosting services without necessarily having your own domain name, but (...) (22 years ago, 23-Sep-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.publish)

  Re: Semi-OT: Need info on domain name purchasing

I'll recommend Dotster for domain registration, and pair.com for hosting. I've been running Brickfrenzy.com on pair.com for over a year now, and even when I posted the Nebuchadnezzar and received ten times my usual bandwidth, I had no problems. Pair (...) (22 years ago, 23-Sep-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Semi-OT: Need info on domain name purchasing

(...) I use and would recommend Northstar Computer ((URL) host Bricklink, charges $15 for domains, and the owner is a fellow AFOLer. Seems to me to be a good idea if, when possible, to patronize such businesses. -John (22 years ago, 23-Sep-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Semi-OT: Need info on domain name purchasing

Hey David, To register a domain you do not need anything special. When I first registered my site I did it at register.com and paid like $35 for it. But that was WAY too much. Go over to (URL) and get one there. It does the exact same thing those (...) (22 years ago, 23-Sep-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Semi-OT: Need info on domain name purchasing

(...) options. I recently registered a couple of domains with joker.com and their fee is only EUR 12,00 per year (US$11.93 as of 9/17). And that includes primary & secondary DNS, with a handy web interface to update it! (...) I used to have a DSL (...) (22 years ago, 23-Sep-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.publish)

  Re: Semi-OT: Need info on domain name purchasing

(...) Right! So if you need T shirts, John Neal is your main man. (and if you need to glue large enterprise applications together, come talk to me about Mercator!) (22 years ago, 23-Sep-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Semi-OT: Need info on domain name purchasing

I have 3 domains in order to handle the traffic of my car sites (and I'm still near maxing my 10Gig/mo with my Earthlink, time to shift some files to the other domains that can handle 6Gig/mo), and I've found that Network Solutions is the absolute (...) (22 years ago, 24-Sep-02, to lugnet.general)