 General / 37447
Re: Creator Buckets - Purple & Orange
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 8 Jul 2002 19:43:28 GMT

"Arne Lykke Nielsen" <arln@wanadoo.dk> writes:

I just noticed, that the partsref 3004 1x2 bricks was in 2 different
versions in this box: all blue and yellow 1x2's was with a hollow
inner pin, while all other colors had the usual solid pin. Are this
TLC trying to save some plastic? A few micrograms per brick? There is
no structural reason, as far as I can see.

Hasn't the same transition happened with plates as well?  Old plates had
solid innertubes, whereas newer ones have hollow tubes.  I have both
types in my bins.  (Assuming we're talking about the same phenomenon.)

I always thought this was due to structural reasons.  A hollow tube is a
structurally more solid shape than a solid one.  (The tubes on your bike
are hollow, for the same reason.)  It could also be because hollow tubes
provide some flexibility, hence they provide more gripping power.  The
bricks could thus stick together better.  (The two properties I descibed
above may seem to contradict each other, but I don't think they do.)

Fredrik
--
http://folk.uio.no/fredrigl/technic/