 General / 36685
Re: Building Idea Book 1 (#238)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.books
Date:
Thu, 2 May 2002 18:53:34 GMT

In lugnet.general, Gary Istok writes:
I just got a hoard of old 1960's LEGO from a USA Ebay Auction over the
weekend.  Among the lot, I was expecting a tattered copy of the very
first Lego idea book, the Building Idea Book 1 (LEGO reference #238).
This book was produced from 1960-68 in several different languages and
editions -- USA Samsonite, UK, German, Danish, Swedish, etc, as well as
an International version without writing (only the pictures).   And they
are very difficult to come by in good condition, because they were
rather delicate, and kids were kind of rough on them back in the 1960's.

<SNIP>

I know that Anders Isaksson has a Swedish version, and I'll bet that
Phil Traviss (Yorkshire England) has a UK version.  I wonder if LEGO
ever produced a Belgian (French/Flemish?), Swiss (German/French?),
Netherlands (Dutch), French, or Italian versions?  Or even if the
Austrian version is identical to the German one?

IMHO, this book is the Holy Grail of LEGO books.

Gary Istok

Hello Gary,

yesterday I found my copy of the idea book #238 and went searching the
LUGNET news-database and stumbled upon your message almost 2 years ago.
I'm not sure if you have any respone upon your question about other versions,
but mine is the *Dutch* version. And it is as well very neat and good preserved!
Well, I'm just very happy to have the very first idea book in Dutch!
Let's say: my FOTM.

Daan (almost a Lugnet member - awaiting respons)