 General / 35560
Re: Is ABS plastic made with oil?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 12 Feb 2002 15:01:03 GMT

Matt Griswold wrote:

I know nothing of plastics manufacturing or of injection molding • techniques...
...but...

The Lego companies _definitely_ use some type of oily product as a "mold
release" agent to allow for easy removal of bricks from the actual molds.

I recently had email conversations with another AFOL over this very thing.
This person was concerned that washing Lego pieces (in an automatic • clothes
washer) removes these oils and thus makes the piece more difficult to put
together and take apart.  I can confirm that this does happen, but it is • not a
concern of mine at all.  I will continue to wash Lego as I prefer to build
with
and to sell clean Lego pieces.

I am sure everyone has noticed how oily new Lego tyres are.  And even • bricks
are a bit oily, too.  This is the mold release agent that Lego uses.  It
likely
prevents damage to the finished bricks and reduces wear and tear of the • molds.
And probably speeds production, too.

But again, I know nothing of these things other than as a user of Lego
bricks.

Personally, I have never seen mold release on any bricks..I have seen
something on tires that could be mold release..
If TLC uses mold release in any large quantity I'd be very surprised....Mold
release just stops the parts from sticking in the mold, that's it.. ..All
the pieces I have looked at closely are polished very well(the mold they
came out of is)...And have measured some with calipers and they do have
draft on them...So, again, it's highly unlikely they use much mold release..

Now, depending on how they lubricate their pins and bushings, grease could
get on the parts from them falling and hitting ejector pins or leader
pins..Or hydraulic oil from the molding machine..

BTW I am a mold designer and was a molder, but never worked at TLC so it's
hard to say what is common practice in their shop..But I can answer common
practice/general mold questions...

Whether it is mold release or splattered lubrication, there is
definitely something coating new bricks. After finishing a bout of
sorting new sets, my hands always feel somewhat irritated. They never
feel this way after handling used bricks which have been washed.

Frank