 General / 35413
Re: Is ABS plastic made with oil?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 2002 06:18:25 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jon Palmer writes:
Thats my question.  I'm just trying to clear up a discussion I had with
someone earlier.  I said it was and they claim that its not anymore.

Ask your friend what he had in mind then...

Most plastics come from crude oil (naphta rather) or natural gas. Crude oil
is the cheapest to use. Other processes employing coal or "farm products"
are known, but are much less practical.

Still other common chemicals (caustic soda for example) are used to produce
the necessary reactions. ABS has more production steps than others like
polystyrene: it is high up on the plastic "food chain".

Then there are additives which give certain properties like flame
retardance, UV resistance, and especially color, and these additives give
the plastic trace amounts of metals like titanium, tin, chromium, etc.

Hope this helps!