 General / 35421
Re: Is ABS plastic made with oil?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 2002 16:40:41 GMT

"Kevin Salm" <kdsalm@dreamscape.com> wrote in message
news:GquEq6.MyD@lugnet.com...
The Lego companies _definitely_ use some type of oily product as a "mold
release" agent to allow for easy removal of bricks from the actual molds.

I recently had email conversations with another AFOL over this very thing.
This person was concerned that washing Lego pieces (in an automatic • clothes
washer) removes these oils and thus makes the piece more difficult to put
together and take apart.

I take to washing my Lego bricks for just this reason. Some sets break apart
easily and washing the bricks allows the bricks to stay together better. One
set that comes to mind is the Train Cargo Center from the mid 90's. The
crane sections were always popping off when minor pressure was applied to
the crane.

Rose