 General / 35414
Re: Is ABS plastic made with oil?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 1 Feb 2002 07:13:18 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jon Palmer writes:
Thats my question.  I'm just trying to clear up a discussion I had with
someone earlier.  I said it was and they claim that its not anymore.

I know nothing of plastics manufacturing or of injection molding techniques...
...but...

The Lego companies _definitely_ use some type of oily product as a "mold
release" agent to allow for easy removal of bricks from the actual molds.

I recently had email conversations with another AFOL over this very thing.
This person was concerned that washing Lego pieces (in an automatic clothes
washer) removes these oils and thus makes the piece more difficult to put
together and take apart.  I can confirm that this does happen, but it is not a
concern of mine at all.  I will continue to wash Lego as I prefer to build
with
and to sell clean Lego pieces.

I am sure everyone has noticed how oily new Lego tyres are.  And even bricks
are a bit oily, too.  This is the mold release agent that Lego uses.  It
likely
prevents damage to the finished bricks and reduces wear and tear of the molds.
And probably speeds production, too.

But again, I know nothing of these things other than as a user of Lego bricks.

__Kevin Salm__
....Lego brick enthusiast for over 20 years....

.