 General / 35429
Re: Shades of Blue & Orange
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 3 Feb 2002 23:00:09 GMT

Greg Perry wrote:

In lugnet.general, Frank Filz writes:
Greg Perry wrote:
Frank's question about the orange in the Scala sets compared to the orange
in the HP sets was one I'd already asked myself.  To me they look the same
(even after a second examination).  I compared the light orange pieces used
for the bed in 4722 to the light orange, poopish chair element from 3110 (a
keen little accessories set I've been meaning to rave about).  They appear
to be the same shade of light orange.  So far I haven't accumulated enought
elements in this color to really do anything with it.

Must be the same then. Two of those chair pieces from 3110 make a nice
little gondola body for a short train car. I've also got a blue one.

I had been eyeing those chair pieces recently as a possibility for a train
car (couldn't think of much else to do with them).  Now that I picked them
up and actually started to think of something to do with them, I noticed
that they're 7 studs wide.  So I was already thinking that I'd need to
center them on an 8-wide car base.

To make a gondola from the chair pieces, I just "bolted" them onto a
frame built between two wheel sets. I didn't put any cross members,
though I probably should have, and those could easily be 6 wide.

Along those same lines, I went ahead and grabbed a couple of the Scala 3144
sets that are on S@H special this week.  I'm hoping that those orange wall
elements can also be used to build a train car (I want to use them in
conjunction with the seats). I want to build a train car using light orange
in the color scheme.  I have a bunch of the pumpkin-like LEGO pen globes
that I want to use as decorations on this car. Unfortunately, the orange of
the globes is slightly off from the Scala/HP light orange.  Not enough to
keep me from trying though.  The finished car would then be added to my
Ghostline Express. (http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=9356)

Hmm, never thought about using those walls in a train car. One problem
would be what to do for an end wall, though it could be black which
wouldn't cause any worry about color match. Another problem would be if
one wanted a door, otherwise they would make a great box car side. I
guess they could make a high bay gondola/hopper side also which would
get around the need for a door. Again of course, a black door could also
work. They will be fairly tall though (I want to say those walls are 8
bricks high).

Frank