 General / 33826
Re: I miss the old LUGNET...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.terms
Date:
Fri, 2 Nov 2001 14:47:33 GMT

In lugnet.general, Eric Sophie writes:

We almost need a post outlining good post ediquet. I was disapointed many
times when I made posts. I never wanted to complain because hey, you get
what you get and be happy with it, and frankly I did'nt want to come off as
whineing.

Perhaps whoever the curator for lugnet.newbie is could go through some of
the posts there and put together a faq on the topic. General netiquette is a
starting point but Things Are Different Here(tm), at least a little bit.

Truth is there are some people who reply to threads and just spout off
opinions, I spend alot of my time perfecting MOC's and I get only a few
cherished replies, then I look around and everybody is jumping into debate
and opinion posts rather than giving to a post where someone actually made
something and is eager to hear from people about his or her efforts.

I don't think you should go there... if people want to debate within a
community of people that they have something in common with, great. Who are
you to say how they choose to spend their free time. They don't OWE you
praise...

This post got no replies whatso ever:

http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=16280

Is this subject matter over everyones heads or is nobody interested?
Either way for me to respond to my own post asking why nobody replied is bad
form.

I know it's over MY head! If i posted a reply saying "neat, no idea on the
questions" I'm not sure that's all that useful. But ask a question in
.trains and you'll likely hear from me... I have knowledge there and am
happy to share it.

That's as it should be. I don't want to hear from a bunch of castleheads
(when Fred Bloggs posts a question about using RCX controlled ladder tracks
in a classification yard) along the lines of "that's neat but we all have no
idea". That's just noise. Sure it's egoboo for Fred Bloggs but how does it
help get the question answered?

5. One thing that always bugs me is that when someone makes a MOC and
another person jumps in to excersise their opinion about some point in the
thread that has nothing to do with the MOC or evan aknowlegding the original
message.

Sorry but as much as I like Larry P. he was guilty of that here:

I feel no guilt. You should feel guilt for having excessively crossposted.

http://news.lugnet.com/admin/terms/?n=332

(sorry Larry but I gotta call you on this)

You'd be wrong to do so.

My response was to a post that was already IN admin.terms... and was an on
topic response to that post. Your beef, if any, would be with Amy for
calling you on excessive crossposting. She happens to be correct, IMHO. I
still to this day do not see why your original post was on topic for
org.michlug. There was no mention of Michigan or the Club in it that I could
see.

But that's not the point. Threads here wander in their topicality and it is
good and appropriate that they do so and good and appropriate that *as* they
wander, that they are at that time in the group that is on topic for that
part of the thread. If your post (properly confined to build.mecha only and
maybe announce although that's iffy) had elicited a response from a michlug
club member saying "hey, let's get Eric to come to ConFusion" or something
topical, it would have been appropriate for THAT RESPONSE to be cross posted
to org.michlug. But the original post was off topic. Amy was right.

Lugnet *is* for compartmentalized dorks and we like it that way. If you
don't like it, don't use it, but don't flaunt the rules, no matter how
talented you are.

I got now aknowledgement just an intrusion into my thread without praise to
the original reason the whole post was made in the first place.

This point has come up before in the past and the consensus seems to be that
one doesn't OWN a thread because one started it. Threads aren't owned. About
the only counter example is in the market groups where it's considered
impolite to post a "I have this for less than X does" in response to a post
by X offering something for sale. But X doesn't own the thread.

People post to threads and as long as their posts are on topic for where
they are placed all is well.

Also, I was really upset by this as well:

http://news.lugnet.com/build/mecha/?n=3456

As a note to other readers, this is another part of the same thread that you
refer to above.

I posted this to .michlug because I like and respect the group and admire
their club, I happen to think there are alot of good builders out there and
that's why I cross posted the story,

Great, I am sure the admiration is mutual (seriously) but that doesn't make
it on topic for the group.

I don't abuse the crosspost rule and I
felt really shocked that I got dissed like that.

Well, yes you *did* abuse the crosspost rule. And it wasn't the first time
either. Amy is sometimes not as kind and gentle and puffywuffy and PC as
some prefer in pointing things out. Which is why I like her, btw, but I
digress. (to Michlug readers: woof! (inside joke))

Heartfelt story or no, it was off topic for the group. I don't think that
you get a pass just because it's an emotional story. By that logic I can
start crossposting everywhere about my latest MTW kit whenever I release
one, because it means a great deal to me emotionally (and who can say it
doesn't? How would you know if it does or not???)...

Lugnet is compartmentalised. That's one of the reasons it was started,
because RTL isn't. I like it that way. I think many other folks do too.

That story was so important
to me and it mattered to me a great deal. The real underlying meaning of the
story was lost and that's a shame. Well at least to Amy it was.

Hey Amy why'd you dis me! I was giving your lug group props!

and violating the ToS at the same time. If you want to discuss this further
it belongs in admin.general or admin.terms...

7. I don't know this for sure but it seems like certain groups don't post
outside their own forums, it seems like if the post isn't in thier group it
doesn't matter to them. Of course there is the issue of the quantity of
threads and it being difficult to reply to them all, however, I still see
close nit groups with no care for others outside of their own forums.

Not sure that's a bad thing necessarily.

8. Having a "contest" between groups to see how many posts that group is up
on another is silly, of course group pride runs strong and that's cool, but
again different groups can come off as exclusionary when they don't seem to
pay attention to the groups around it. (ahh this point is kinda
flakey...nevermind)

I'm with you 100% on this, posting contests seem totally asinine to me.

Well, there is my take on Ediquet and posting. I wish we all could talk more
and I know we all have different priorities.

Just remember the person that works hard loves a little praise.
and reply to the compliments with a thank you.
Keep in mind that just because we don't phyically see each other we all
still deserve a little courtesy.

In closing I'm releived that you broached this subject, it's difficult to
point out short commings without seeming like we are complaining, truth is
we are just striving to become better.

In summation I think praise and compliments are good but cross posting isn't.

I XFUT admin.terms because I think you've raised admin issues. Don't take it
personally, I still think you have amazing chops but I just don't think you
can characterise what happened in this thread the way you did, as some sort
of breach of ettiquette by everyone else and yourself as blameless.

++Lar