 General / 33490
Re: New LEGO system for business and strategy development
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 3 Oct 2001 22:22:02 GMT

I don't care whatever it takes, as long as it'll produce decent managers.
I've come across one in the last 5 years....
Today I had to remind my manager (well, the guy that collects my timekeeping
sheets anyway, are managers supposed to do more?) that my contract is up for
renewal in less than a month. He seemed genuinely surprised by this news,
but at least agreed to have a meeting next week to discuss wether or not to
continue my employment with the firm....
My previous manager didn't give a damn about her team, all she wanted was to
lick herself up to private office, company car and share options level. At
least she managed that.... before being axed in the first round of lay-offs
(something's gone wrong with the PC industry you know...)

Sorry about this ranting. I'm just so annoyed with this guy....
I guess what I'm saying is that if he's gonna do a decent job after playing
with Lego for an afternoon with some other managers, I'd be happy to buy him
a set or two...

Duq

Jennifer Clark <jen@vulture.dmem.strath.ac.uk> wrote in message
OK - someone try and defend it :-)

From what I gather, certain types of management seem obsessed with "team
building exercises" and other such courses available in great magnitude
these days. From my own point of view I think they are a lot of nonsense • and
for the most part achieve little, yet some people are prepared to pay a • lot
of money for them - and that surely is enough justification on Lego's • part?

If people think talking to horses benefits your management skills I'm sure • a
case can be easily made for Lego.

I still think the best team building exercises are those involving the
consumption of copious quantities of Glasgow curry, however.

Jennifer