 General / 33482
Re: New LEGO system for business and strategy development
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 3 Oct 2001 18:33:35 GMT

"Jimmy Park" <madoka@jps.net> wrote in message news:GKn4L9.7Fz@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.lego.announce, Suzanne D. Rich writes:
Using a new concept called LEGO SERIOUS PLAY, boardrooms are turned into
innovative environments, where managers and employees build representations of
their business and business landscape using LEGO Bricks. This changes the
concept of enterprise strategy from a static expression of words on paper to

Well, it isn't April 1, so all I can say is "WHY LEGO, WHY!?!?!"

Most of the nutball dot coms with too much money are gone.  We are likely
heading into a global recession.  So how likely is it that a mid to upper
level manager would try to get funding (probably at least several hundred
dollars I'm guessing) to play with Lego with their coworkers?  They would be
slitting their own career throats.

Everytime LEGO spends their money on stuff like this, I think back to that
speech the CEO gave about how they were going to return to their core
business of building blocks after getting burned the last couple of years.

Laugh? I nearly cried.
Sorry, correct that. I did cry.

Dont follow the links to http://www.imagilab.org/
I said don't! You will cry too.

As you say, after their losses, and the speech of the CEO, what are they doing employing a team of 14 academics to come
up with this stuff. (and advertising for more - PhD required mind you)

But try asking them to put one of two lousy bricks in a bulk pack, and oh no that's much too hard.

If Lego wants to sell to the adult market why doesn't it simply do the various things the AFOL community here on Lugnet
is asking for. That would net them many, many times more profit than this scheme.

To be clear, I don't have anything against what it looks like they are trying to do in the imagilab, I just cannot see
why Lego is funding it (in the current climate), and what it thinks it will make selling products based on it.

OK - someone try and defend it :-)

Lawrence