 General / 3319
Re: Dear Lego, please make this sign be true.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 07:53:16 GMT

Gary Istok wrote in message <36F006B5.CB54C67@umich.edu>...

Eric Brok wrote:

Jeff Stembel wrote in message ...
In lugnet.general, Eric Brok writes:
Also, with all the abundand new colors in retail sets, what's keeping • the
light blue which has been in LEGOLAND for many years.

And from some pictures it looks like in California, a darker shade of • white
is used in some places (being neither tan nor light grey). Is this • right?

Eric

Actually, (I noticed this last night) Light Blue is available in two • current
sets: The Scuba and Ski Throwbots.  Not that that helps any of us who • want
make a Light blue house.  ;)

I didn't notice the light blue (cat pics can't be trusted for exact • colors,
and TB isn't released here yet).

This is very promising!

Eric

OK, here's the scoop.  From what I can gather the light blue was from a
promotional set made for Denmark's national airline (circa 1980) whose name • I
cannot remember (Muersten or something starting with an "M").

It's Maersk, and the light blue has been in LEGOLAND Billund from even
before 1980 (or so I was told by a LEGOLAND employee). Just as tan was used
in LEGOLAND long before sets with tan bricks were released.

Once TLG uses a
color somewhere in its' lineup of sets, it can use it in its buildings and
LEGOLANDs at any point in the future.  From what I can tell, they haven't • used
that light blue color in bricks in other sets since that promo set came • out.

It would be the same thing if TLG never made another set with orange bricks • in
it again (Target's 1998 Halloween Orange Buckets), and yet continued to • build
LEGOLAND buildings with orange bricks.

As far as a darker white, I don't know either, but I agree that sometimes • the
catalog pictures cannot be trusted.  This is something that goes back to • the
early 1960's when I was a child and thought that the first Junior • Constructor
set #717 first available in 1961 was made of orange bricks and yellow doors • &
windows (predating the orange bricks by 37 years (1998) and the yellow • doors &
windows by 6 years (1967 - set #325).  Check out this 1961 catalog, the • Junior
Constructor model house really does look orange:

Also, look at the Paradisa Surf shack. It even looks like an orange ground
plate on the set box.

Eric Brok