 General / 3280
Re: Dear Lego, please make this sign be true.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 18:58:38 GMT

In lugnet.general, Fredrik Glöckner writes:
Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> writes:

See this pic...

http://www.layer1.net/legoland/d39/lego39011.jpg

Wow, that's some collection of images!

I especially liked the close ups of the vehicles, because I have mainly
made vehicles myself over the last year.

Yes, same here.

My vehicles usually have lots of working Technic functions, though,
which means that I cannot make them look as realistic as the ones
presented here.  I think I will try not to worry about the working
functions one day, and rather try to make the model look as realistic as
possible.  That should be an interesting challenge.

That's what I do; a few technic functions, and reasonable car-ness
(rather than realism - on one hand, I rather fail at really copying
an existing shape, on the other, I like to design cars *my* way,
anyway.).

Some things on these cars are like low-res bitmaps,
e.g. the stepped windows. From a slight distance, this works
fairly well, while it wouldn't be too great for a model right
in front of you. But I've noticed some really unpleasantly
far-away-from-available brick items there, such as clear tiles.
And what about
http://www.layer1.net/legoland/d4/lego04004.jpg
? Those brown tiles at first glance appear to be attached to
clear recessed-side-studs 1x1s, but upon closer
examination, I'd say the whole windshield is made from
stud-facing-forward 2*x clear plates, stepped, with
clear (and brown) tiles on top.
One really ought to ask TLG just how this relates to available
sets, or just how they suppose one would acquire the parts for
this rather small vehicle (as opposed to "I want to build
a 10-ft giraffe, too!") from currently buyable sets -
I'm sure most can be gotten by buying insane amounts
of certain WW and freestyle sets, while even the wheels
are an item of the (recent) past in that color.

But the clear parts are getting to be an expression
of meanness, IMO.

-gbr