 General / 3302
Re: Dear Lego, please make this sign be true.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 19:47:02 GMT

Eric Brok wrote:

Jeff Stembel wrote in message ...
In lugnet.general, Eric Brok writes:
Also, with all the abundand new colors in retail sets, what's keeping the
light blue which has been in LEGOLAND for many years.

And from some pictures it looks like in California, a darker shade of • white
is used in some places (being neither tan nor light grey). Is this right?

Eric

Actually, (I noticed this last night) Light Blue is available in two • current
sets: The Scuba and Ski Throwbots.  Not that that helps any of us who want • to
make a Light blue house.  ;)

I didn't notice the light blue (cat pics can't be trusted for exact colors,
and TB isn't released here yet).

This is very promising!

Eric

OK, here's the scoop.  From what I can gather the light blue was from a
promotional set made for Denmark's national airline (circa 1980) whose name I
cannot remember (Muersten or something starting with an "M").  Once TLG uses a
color somewhere in its' lineup of sets, it can use it in its buildings and
LEGOLANDs at any point in the future.  From what I can tell, they haven't used
that light blue color in bricks in other sets since that promo set came out.

It would be the same thing if TLG never made another set with orange bricks in
it again (Target's 1998 Halloween Orange Buckets), and yet continued to build
LEGOLAND buildings with orange bricks.

As far as a darker white, I don't know either, but I agree that sometimes the
catalog pictures cannot be trusted.  This is something that goes back to the
early 1960's when I was a child and thought that the first Junior Constructor
set #717 first available in 1961 was made of orange bricks and yellow doors &
windows (predating the orange bricks by 37 years (1998) and the yellow doors &
windows by 6 years (1967 - set #325).  Check out this 1961 catalog, the Junior
Constructor model house really does look orange:

http://www.chem.sunysb.edu/msl/LEGO/60s_d2.jpg

(Joe Lauher/Bill Katz  website/catalog credits)

Gary Istok