 General / 32764
Re: Chapter 1 of Subterfugitives now online!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 2 Sep 2001 20:27:03 GMT

In lugnet.general, James Brown writes:
My only quibble is that the chapter seems a bit slow, especially near the
beginning where you've got a lot of establishing shots.  Those kinds of
"same scene, different angle" shots are really served well by being seen
together.  It still worked, but I think it would have worked better if there
were multiple panels on a single page.

I disagree.  I put each image on a seperate page for a couple diferent
reasons, in no particular order of importance:

1. faster loading (less chance of multiple people loading the same image,
and less images per page)

2. Pacing.  I find pacing to be very important to my story, and a slow quiet
place should come across as slow and quiet.  There is a lack of reverence
when you breeze across the page of a comic and skip over many important
details.  The story goes very quickly away from normal reality, so one of
the ways to establish suspension of disbelief is to ground the story with
realistic pacing.

3. I really like the cinematic feel of the new image loading over the
previous one in the same place and shape.  It works kind of like a shot by
shot animatic storyboard.

Of course, I'm on a high-speed ADSL
connection, so I'm less affected by bandwidth issues.  Multiple panels on a
page would probably really choke a slow connection. :/

That is definately an issue also.  I have DSL also, and to test it when I
first loaded it I cleared my cashe and I was still able to run through the
whole 1st chapter faster than I could read it, but there are a lot of people
out there that have much slower modems, and I'd like them to still be able
to enjoy the story.  I am already using large images and a lot of them in
succession, so I don't want the Subterfugitives to be connection-speed
snobbery-fest by batching the pictures on only a couple of pages.

cheers!
Joel K