 General / 32493
Re: Most important aspect of a model...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Wed, 15 Aug 2001 18:33:20 GMT

In lugnet.general, Bram Lambrecht writes:
In your opinion (who else's?), what are the most important aspects of a model?
a) Overall form, shape, and detail
b) Functions, playability, structural integrity, moving bits
c) Color scheme, realistic use of color

If you needed to write a mathematical formula relating a, b, and c in order to
choose a "best" model, what would it be?
--Bram

I think it depends somewhat on the general nature of the model. A technic
model (for example) would need to be functional and structurally strong, but
color wouldn't matter as much. And a "model" (like the statue of liberty,
etc) would need a lot of detail, good form, and good color scheme, and not
need much functionality/playability. And of course minifig constructions
should be a nice balance of both.

In general though, I rate detail & color scheme very highly. Form takes a
close 2nd (3rd?) behind them, and functionality is generally last.

So I guess if I had to write a general formula, it'd be along the lines of:
4.0a + 2.5b + 3.5c
(each category is scored 0-10, and the overall model is 0-100)

With the obvious exceptions. I.E. if you have some ridiculously cool
functionality, it can skyrocket the model's overall coolness beyond the
"25%" above.

DaveE