 General / 32108
Re: Et in Arcadia Lego Redux (New and Improved)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 14:47:03 GMT

"Steve Runnels" <netfreak16@hotmail.com> writes:

And IIRC, iframes and ilayers(not sure if Paul used this or not for NS
users) have been around at least since version 4 of both browsers.

At least my Netscape 4.76 doesn't show them, he shows the text in
the noframes element which is not very helpful, to say the least
(in hindsight it is probably because Javascript is turned off).

Anyway it's his site and he can create it anyway he wants.

He can, but it's not nice.

If people can't get to it, tough for them.

Why be tough on your fellows when it is so easy to avoid?

If the users don't see it exactly how he wants it, tough for him.

That's the point I don't get, why this control mania in web design?
I'd say it is much better to see the content in a layout that the
designer doesn't like (he doesn't have to look at it anyway)
than nothing at all.

That's the problem with web design.  If you want to do anything even
remotely cool, you're screwed.  HTML wasn't developed with design in mind.

I'm no expert on that, but I think in later versions you can nicely
separate content and presentation (e.g. use CSS), so everybody can
at least enjoy the content, and the coolness doesn't get in the way.

BTW - I'm not particularily fond of the frame myself, but the rest looks
mighty good.

By typing the URLs of some of the frames I've looked at a few nice pictures,
but it's a pain, as you can imagine.

Jürgen

--
Jürgen Stuber <stuber@loria.fr>