 General / 32077
Re: A good day for LEGO until....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 29 Jul 2001 03:13:42 GMT

In lugnet.general, Mike Walsh writes:

Technically LEGO is known as an associate sponsor.  Shell remains the
primary sponsor  for Kenny Breck's (I thought it was actually Brack) car.
One thing about the wreck, it resulted in a ton of TV time for LEGO (what
every sponsor of a race car really wants).  The in-car camera footage was
shown on all of the major sports networks (ESPN, CNN/SI, FoxSportsNet) last
night with the LEGO logo prominantly displayed.

That's the down side of actually being there.  It all happened
right in front of me but I only got to see it once.

But I vividly recall watching them enter Turn 3, when I started
yammering frantically, "Too high, too high!..."  <THWAP!>  After
that I was just watching cars wreck and a bouncing wheel that
almost nailed a Target car, hoping it wasn't coming after me!

The "too high" bit:  they entered Turn 3 going three-widesh.
Brack was the high-sider (if I remember correctly).  Looking at
his line he looked farther up the bank than normal, for that
early in the turn.  It was subtle, maybe only a couple feet, but
you could notice it.  Anyhow, a combination of Brack trying to
keep it down in the groove, and Papis and whoever drifting up
from down low, led to the contact.  Both went into the wall.
Brack rode it along into Turn 4 (where I was).  Papis came
off the Turn 4 wall, went down across the track, and clobbered
the infield wall at the Pit entrance.  While he was going
relatively slow at the second impact, it's very sobering to
see a car broadside into a concrete wall at between 60 and
100 mph.  Do that on the highway and you're going home in
a sandwich bag!

Back to on-topic, I didn't see the LEGO logo at all there,
as it's too small.  I could barely make out the major sponsor
logos as it was.  Had I been in the paddock area for that
race I would have taken plenty of pictures of it.  The
Rahal.com site doesn't show/mention LEGO yet, and the CART.com
site has pictures of very poor quality (but the LEGO stuff
is still recognizeable---there is quite a bit of it on the car).

KDJ
LUGNETer #203, Windsor, Ontario, Canada