 General / 31432
Re: How much is enough?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 02:06:54 GMT

In lugnet.general, David Eaton writes:

I guess what I'm saying is there's not much Lugnet as a "company/legal
entity" can do without violating its own Terms of Use, since no (to the best
of my knowledge) actual copyrighted and/or private information is *really*
being sourced on Lugnet. It's just indrectly linked.

For the HP stuff, yes. But for the new train cars, there was a period of a
day or two where that was not exactly true. I pointed that out in this post:
http://news.lugnet.com/trains/?n=11894
which sank without a trace.

As for LUGNET's interests? They are its own. As evidenced in the case I
referenced earlier, Lugnet acted swiftly and completely to aid The Lego
Company, when it was requested to do so. But also, the admins have always
tried to make it clear that this site is not under any legal obligation to
TLC, and may act without TLC's approval. But I've never seen the admins act
in a manner that actually goes against TLC's wishes.

This is a bit broad, isn't it? That is, TLC isn't monolithic and may well
have conflicting wishes. Further it may have wishes that haven't been made
clear. In either of those cases it would be hard to comply and hard to say
one way or the other whether compliance was achieved... (I agree in spirit
with what you said but had to nitpick the statement as insufficiently precise)

++Lar (who still would like to figure out if it's possible to use the theme
logos on other websites or not, never did figure out if TLC gave blanket
permission or what)