 General / 31427
Re: How much is enough?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 28 Jun 2001 22:14:17 GMT

In lugnet.general, Tim Saupé writes:
Let's be honest here - none of what is all over LUGNET now should be here.

I'm curious-- I haven't seen this discussion taking place at all with
respect to the HP sets... Can anyone point me to a thread? If there's not a
thread going, then can I start one here? Where were these pictures sourced
from? How 'bout the prices? Who leaked it? Under what agreement were they
told to keep quiet?

Obviously, LUGNET is not to blame for all of this entirely, although after
having the same experience in the past I am a bit surprised to see that all
of this is being readily advertised on this sites main page.

? The only link I see to it is in the "Top Stories" list, which isn't LUGNET
(as an online product/group/admin), but LUGNET's users. I.E. the "fault"
lies with the poster of the message and those who highlighted it, not LUGNET
as a site.

They can't be happy
that all of this is out now.  I'm surprised that it's still online.

I'm not so sure (I could be wrong). As I recall, the 2000 (or was it 2001?)
info was "leaked" early on, Lego IMMEDIATELY reacted, the images and posts
were reaped, showing a very strong reaction. However, if you recall, *Star
Wars* sets & prices were immediately made public again. Why? Because Lego
already had all the rights to making Star Wars construction toys. There was
nothing to loose by showing the competition what was out there. *OTHER*
themes weren't made "public" again 'till much later, because Lego didn't own
the rights. Wouldn't Lego already have the rights to HP? Will they loose any
business because of it? What negative ramifications will be had? The movie
industry for showing bits of what the movie has in store? Isn't this just
more advertising for them?

What happens to those of us that want to play by the rules?

I think the reaction by Lego is that they *know* who leaked what, most of
the time. I know many people who have had sensative information and NOT
leaked, and AFAIK, they still get the inside scoop, because they've been
shown to be trustworthy. Honestly, I don't think you'll be affected unless
they have reason to believe you're leaking :) [or at least I hope]

DaveE