 General / 30882
Re: Is this "a joke " ???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 10 Jun 2001 13:11:28 GMT

Dej'an wrote:

[snip]

Those were not real sets and were never sold. They were made by an artist
who had TLC to back one of his projects. If I recall correctly, he was
originally supposed to build a hospital, but that somehow turned to a
concentration camp. Lego was not happy with the result.

Hmm, still , sounds pretty strange to me - boxes etc.  If they backed him up
with hospital or whatever like they haven't seen what they were producing -
I mean someone (who is not blind) had to made all the boxes etc. if that
was him - and he used TLC nam, logos and everything why didn't they sue
him , on the other hand if they build those things upon his idea they could
have
been aware of the result before even "putting the ideas into machines"  ?

Here are some quotes from the webpage that should answer your questions:

"Libera created his piece by assembling Lego blocks into replicas of
death camp facilities,  photographing them and then using the photos to
adorn authentic-looking Lego cardboard packages, complete with the
disassembled pieces, the company logo and multi-language safety
warnings."

"The display is so unsettling in its playful simplicity that the Lego
Group, which sponsors Lego art contests and donates thousands of plastic
pieces to artists around the world, tried to persuade Libera to withdraw
it from public view. Only when lawyers became involved did the company
give up.

"It is a theme that is so sensitive to so many people in so many
countries," said Peter Ambeck-Madsen, Lego's director of public
relations at the company headquarters in Billund, Denmark. "If we had
known before what he was going to do, we never would have given him the
bricks. But we talked about it and decided [that] to make a big thing
about it now would only draw more attention."

-chris

Dejan

greg