 General / 30425
Re: A Question Regarding Sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 22 May 2001 03:00:29 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jason Sutherland writes:
Hello all,

I have always wondered the following regarding what other people do with
their sets:

When I purchase Lego sets, I build the sets once, then immediately disassemble
them, sort the pieces according to my storage system, and then add the pieces
to my storage containers.  All pieces from all sets get assimilated into my
collection for use.  This includes multiples of the same set.

From then on, all pieces are fair game for building whatever I want to.  Rarely
do I rebuild a set from the instructions but they do provide some ideas and
inspiration for my own creations.

I never build Space and Technic stuff, those parts are used for Town, Train,
Western, Pirate, and Castle MOC's.  I buy Lego for the parts to build with--for
example, Star Wars sets - I have no desire to build SW stuff, but the sets
provide excellent new pieces and new colors for other themed building.

My only exception to this are my Metroliners.  Those have been assembled since
I bought them and they remain stored in a closed container when not in use.

I enjoy building Town vehicles the most.  My vehicles are either modified from
a Lego set or a complete MOC; there is no Town Jr in my Town--all those
vehicles get properly retrofitted and improved.  I have about 75 vehicles that
I NEVER take apart.  They are stored in closed containers but receive blasts of
compressed air to remove surface dust when necessary (about once a year).  Some
get modified occasionally as new pieces and colors come into my collection;
many have been assembled for over 10 years.  The best examples of that would be
my small fleet of (mini-fig scale) limousines and a dozen or so fire engines.

As for structures and buildings--I have built some pretty cool ones over the
years.  For most of them all that survive are photographs or a few minutes on
videotape, and my memory of them.  Some creations get resurrected over and over
and due to more Lego pieces and colors, they improve.  Two summers ago I began
work on a very large Yellow Castle of my own design.  It has been torn down and
rebuilt half a dozen times and the last version (about 9 months old) sits on a
table in my Lego room covered with a sheet.  Since I now have even more Yellow
arches, Yellow bricks, arched windows, Black lattice fences, etc. I can combine
them to further improve my masterpiece.

I own so many sets that it would be a shame not to use the pieces in ways that
make me happiest--building my own thing.  Never have I considered storing Lego
sets separated.  That is not the spirit of Lego or of building with Lego.
I stepped 'OUT OF THE BOX' when I was a child and I will never go back.

__Kevin Salm__
....Lego enthusiast for over 20 years....