 General / 29859
Re: More sticker/decal talk
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 22:30:41 GMT

It's like fishing for Halibut, ya gotta leave the bait out for a long time!
:) Thanks for picking up this thread!

I have been moving forward on this topic. Sorry that I didn't update the
group but with no response I wasn't sure there was any interest.

Anyway... I have used micro scale water slide decals on several MOCs (see
below) and really like them much better than "stickers". They start out sort
of floating but then literally disappears after drying. My experience is
that the clear Avery mailing labels are crap, like Eric said. Then I tried
the sticky back architecture film for inkjets (high brow stuff from art
supply store) this was better and we ship this with the BricWorx 400 series
coaches. However if you slide your finger across it with medium pressure it
can smear the inkjet ink.

Break thru: In the last few days I found clear water slide decals at my
local hobby store. Only trouble with these is that you *cannot* use an
inkjet printer unless you spray the decal with some sealer, yada yada,
yada... I did print on them with an HP laser printer and it worked fine. But
in black only. The laser toner printing is a matte finish, kinda dull, but
does not come off in water!

I have access to a nice Tektronix 840 color thermal wax printer. And boy is
it cool! The ink (wax) is shinny and a bit raised. The decal sheets ran thru
it fine. Whoopee!

The rest of the story -- Fonts/ding-bats...
Although you can create logos and the like in many vector or raster paint
programs there's nothing like work already done. So I bought a font from
www.railfonts.com called Modern Heralds (see URL below) for $14, well worth
the money! The great thing about fonts is that they are scale-able so you
don't get jaggy edges. Also there are tons of free fonts on the web, some of
which are called ding-bats; each key maps to a sign or icon, very useful!

CALLING ALL DECALERS!
Back to the clear decals. On the package was the factory name and number and
it said call for bulk pricing, so I did. It is $1.50 per page at quantity 50
or more. I'm looking to split this 2 or 3 ways, anyone interested? BTW the
single sheet price at the hobby store was $2.50! This is a good price, I
have been looking for a while.

SteveB

Modern Heralds Font sample = http://www.railfonts.com/Samples/rrhmod-demo.gif

MOCs with Micro-scale water slide decals:
http://www.pnltc.org/EngDE_SB_ChesTrio.jpg
http://www.pnltc.org/imgGal_BN_swtch2.jpg
http://www.pnltc.org/EngSW_SB_LIRR.jpg