 Trains / 10913
Re: More sticker/decal talk
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 03:32:54 GMT

Hi Jake,
I saw in our computer store at work today a package of clear labels for ink jet
printers. These are the "standard size"(?) sticky back, address labels 1 by,
maybe, 3 inches on a 8x 11 inches sheet. I am not sure of the brand name but
they "ought" to be available at most office supply stores. the price there was
$8 per package for, I dont know how many, labels. I wasnt taking notes but was
considering them to create decals for mini figs or trains.
As to the heat issue, I would NOT use them in a laser printer, although I think
the textronix printer would make more durable decals. maybe there is a version
designed for the higher temps of those printers. I used to work on both copiers
and laser printers and was often called to "remove" melted transparences from
the fuser sections. I would often find a package of ink jet transparences
somewhere near the printer/copier although no one "knew" how they got there.
Unless you feel comfortable with disasembling your laser printer <G>, I would
wait till someone else confirms they work.If you need more info about the ink
jet labels, let me know and I will check the package more closely

Have fun!
John

In lugnet.trains, Jake McKee writes:
In lugnet.trains, Steven Barile writes:
Hi All,
I was wondering how many of you guys use the clear decal sheets and print on
them? I know the Alps printer is used a bit in this, mostly due to the fact
that it can print white ink. I was thinking about using a thermal wax
printer; the Tektronix 840. I was wondering if the decal sheet is sensitive
to the heat produced by the printer?

comments, ideas...???

SteveB

Did you ever hear anything on this? I have been wanting to do some of this
decal stuff for a while now for all my hobbies, but not sure where to start.
I am assuming water transfer decals onto the plastic. Can I get these for a
laser or inkjet printer. If so, anyone have any ideas of a good brand/bad
brand, where to get them from, etc?

Thanks!
jake

---