 General / 2880
Re: TLG investigation 1st answers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 23 Feb 1999 20:31:53 GMT

Larry Pieniazek writes:
Jim Wissner wrote:
For example,
a 63 Corvette is much nicer than a '90s Corvette, in my opinion.  But does • this
mean that Chevrolet should keep cranking out old cars?

Right. BUT, to work the car analogy a bit more: Both Chrysler and Ford
are bringing out new models that recapture some of what the older models
had. The Prowler is a huge flashback to the hotrods of the 50s. The PT
Cruiser harks back to prewar cars. And Ford is bringing out a new T-Bird
that is a throwback to the original T-Bird, portholes on the side of the
roof and all. None of these are cheap, either. They will be high profit
models for the makers.

The lesson here is that many Baby Boomers want what they had as kids, at
any cost. This is true for LEGO as well. We want the great sets we could
not afford then rather than the stuff TLG is putting out now. So TLG
could make a bit on well designed sets in the older style without
reissuing stuff per se.

Fair enough.  You make a good point.

I knew (well, suspected) somehow or another that the car anology
wouldn't hold up, but my point is that I personally think it
may be better to look forward than look back.  To me the nostalgic
appeal and fond memories of things loose a bit when I have every
single thing I want or that I had or had wanted.  I am clearly
in the minority, which is fine.  I seem to have a fundamentally
different outlook than other AFsOL do WRT set collection,
"completeness" and so on.  The more I observe, the more I find
myself moving away from this angle of importance in my lego
hobbie.

And I know that the whole problem for many of you is that you
don't feel that you are able to look forward because of lego.
I realize that many of you are very unhappy with current lego
offerings; I've never really disagreed with this (except that
I think the technic line is still very very nice).  I guess I'm
just different in that I don't feel compelled to make my voice
heard so loudly.  I don't really have the time!  Yes I know,
if everyone were like me change would never happen.  That's
true at least WRT lego; hopefully not all else in my life.
I guess I'm not a true "AFOL," which clearly connotes more than
just "an adult who likes lego", which I am and I do.  The
acronym it seems is more than the sum of its parts! =)

Anyway, I digress; I didn't expect to change anyones mind
or to even be agreed with (although thanks to the several
very kind people who did email to express sharing my views!).

Happy building, playing, collecting, thinking about,
looking at, or whatever else you do with your lego,  =)

Jim