 General / 28747
Re: What Kids really want. Not Juniorization.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 14 Mar 2001 22:12:28 GMT

OK. I committed treason and bought one of the neon color MB tubs.  The • binding
performance while less powerful than Lego was totally consistant.

My most recent clone purchase (if anyone repeats that I'll deny it :-) ) was • the
Blue Thunder Pro Builder set (blue & yellow jet plane).  The inconsistency I
experienced (which I haven't seen change much over time) was primarily between
bricks and plates, and plates and plates.  The tail section and wings of the
plane are quite fragile.

...  I fully
belive that the differnce in quality at this point in time is directly • related
to the different types of plastic and nothing else.

Well, I disagree, based on my experiences as noted above-- buy a Pro Builder
set
and LMK how it goes.

Ok.  I couldn't help myself, I purchased a Battleship and an Aircraft Carrier.
In those sets the plates are just as consistent as the bricks.  I found 4 1x1
cylinders that didn't grip very well but there were 7 extras (3 useable)  There
were also 10 extra 8x8 plates.  I do not know about the Blue Thunder but the
two naval vessels possess grey parts with quality more than sufficent for my
needs.  (OH MY GOD WHAT AM I SAYING!?!  Bless me Lego For I have sinned.)

Lego's manufacturing tolerances are still better as far
as
I'm concerned (though I have experienced some annoyances in this area as well,
like the pieces that that make up the arms on the Pit Droids not staying on
well).

[snip]

As an assistant Manager at KB I know for a fact that at least 40 percent of • the
cost is retail markup.  TLC's profit margins are not that high unless you go
through Shop at Home.

Are you sure?

Yes.

I would expect Lego's profit margins to retailers ARE in the
range of 30-50% (I think most manufacturing outfits make more like 75-100%,
correct? it's a high-margin business).

That is exactly why I belive the bulk tubs acuratley reflects the
difference in ONLY material cost between Mega Blocks and Lego.

... If they stop wasting money on things kids do not want from them, maybe • they
will start turning a profit again..

A most excellent summary of their current position...

Indeed, unfortunatly.

Kevin

-Mike Petrucelli