 General / 28730
Re: What Kids really want. Not Juniorization.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 14 Mar 2001 04:21:53 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Kevin Johnston writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Mike Petrucelli writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Dave Schuler writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Steve Bliss writes:
$0.0167 for LEGO
$0.0143 for Mega-Bloks

Or about a 14% markdown for MB (looking at it the other way, LEGO is marked
up about 17% from MB).

That sounds about right to me, based on the current differences in brick
quality.  I'd actually expect LEGO bricks to cost at least 25% more than
MB.

Since the tubs are a bulk dump of basic bricks, they're not necessarily
the best indicator of piece:price ratio.

Ok you missed my original point.  Bulk tub prices are an acurate reflection • of
material costs.  Actual sets from both Mega Blocks and Lego have added • printing
and R&D costs.  So why the huge price difference.

Hmmm, I don't agree that bulk prices are an accurate reflection of pure • material
costs.  For one thing, there's the manufacturing costs-- Lego bricks have
superior (and more consistent) binding performance.

OK. I committed treason and bought one of the neon color MB tubs.  The binding
performance while less powerful than Lego was totally consistant.  I fully
belive that the differnce in quality at this point in time is directly related
to the different types of plastic and nothing else.  That is a big
improvement for Mega Blocks.  (now I have a moral delemia about wheather or not
I want to spend a decent portion of my Lego budget on grey Mega Blocks.  The
quality is more than sufficent for my needs. <sigh>)

There are other, less tangible costs: Lego advertises, MB does not (not in any
significant way that I'm aware of, anyway).  One could argue that MB • essentially
trades on Lego's brand to get better consumer awareness-- effectively getting • a
negative cost in its column.

That is a cost not related to materials but will affect set cost slightly.
(More than likely adding less than a dollar to any given set. You forget it is
distributed over all sets not just one.)

...  Consider that TRU had Mos
Espa Podraced sets at clearance for $34.99.  They still make money on that. • At
KB when sets are marked half off, they still turn a profit.

Just because the retailer is making money selling Lego's overstock doesn't • mean
Lego is making money on the same transaction.  (And when a retailer like TRU
sells at half off, it's not always at the manufacturer's expense anyway-- they
may be taking the loss if they over-ordered the product in the first place.)

Besides-- Lego *actually lost money* last year.  The money went somewhere-- I
don't think there's much argument in that.  You might pick a bone over how • they
spend their money, and whether it's on things that you as a consumer are • willing
to foot the bill for (as I would), but I just don't see how their actual • losses
(2000, and 1998) jibes with an outrageously high profit margin (including a
profit from clearanced overstock).

How about R&D for products of inferior quality that no one wants.  The pathetic
software/games stick out in my mind.  They also have to recoup the inital
creation of new molds.  They have made quite a few of those recently.  I do not
mind the creation of GOOD new parts and am willing to pay for that.

...  Simply put we are
paying for the name and nothing more.

-Mike Petrucelli

While I do think there's some merit to the general argument (the brand itself
adds cost to the product), I just don't believe Lego's profit margins are • *that*
high.  They wouldn't be in the position they're in now if they were.

Kevin

As an assistant Manager at KB I know for a fact that at least 40 percent of the
cost is retail markup.  TLC's profit margins are not that high unless you go
through Shop at Home.  Obviously there profit margins are decent enough though.
If they stop wasting money on things kids do not want from them, maybe they
will start turning a profit again..

-Mike Petrucelli