 General / 27197
Re: Building a computer from Lego's
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 04:44:41 GMT

Bob Sardelli wrote:

Well I guess we are using the term "computer" a little loosely.  But if it
could play tic-tac-toe then it made decisions based variable input, thats
kind of like a computer.  And using an RCX would definitely NOT count.

Bob

In lugnet.robotics, Eric Joslin writes:
In lugnet.robotics, David Eaton writes:

Of
course, I seem to remember that Mario Ferrari (I think it was him?) built
one using an RCX-- does that count? ;)

It was Mario and Marco Beri, they had it with them at Mindfest.  I don't know
if Mario's brother Gulio had any input into it, so if I'm leaving him out
accidentally don't hit me.

eric

I'm pretty sure the Tinkertoy 'computer' was basically a look-up table
that
had all positions coded into it with the correct responses, making use
of symmetries to cut down the size of lookup needed. I don't really
consider
that to be a computing device. As I recall, Dewdney wrote a column about
it
for Scientific American a few years ago.

I've thought quite hard about building a general-purpose computing
mechanism
out of lego, and I have at least 2 1/2 quite different potential schemes
in mind,
but I'm not sure any of them are quite ready for the light of day yet.
I've
certainly built individual logic gates in a variety of ways.

Personally, I consider using an RCX to be cheating, even if it's only
used to
drive a fixed Turing-machine-like device. I also don't like the idea of
using
pneumatics in any significant way, since I think that makes the problem
too easy.
Not to mention expensive :-(

A borderline case would be something like using lots of Lego train set
and operating
switches based on the positions and loads of individual trains. In
principle
one could certainly build a general-purpose computing device this way,
but it's
not really quite in the spirit of the sort of thing I'd like to
construct. Of
course, I'd probably feel differently if I actually already _owned_ lots
of lego
trains and track.

   Andrew Lipson