 General / 26962
Re: Trivia: The First Junior Brick?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 00:10:59 GMT

In lugnet.general, Rose Regner writes:
The 1x2x5 columns would fit this criteria. I would have to check when they
first showed up in Fire or Police stations.

Rose
Mr L F Braun wrote in message ...

[ Heavy snipage ]

Classic Space
  trans-dk-blue 6x5x2 inverse 33 1/3 slope "buckets".  I love
  these pieces, but it got me thinking:  they're borderline
  POOPs in that one could build the same form from standard
  bricks, albeit not one of the same appearance.  So I have
  a question for the masses to which I don't know the answer:

  Does anyone know when the first POOPs (Piece [that can be
  made] Of Other Pieces) appeared in a LEGO set?

[ More snipage ]

  Lindsay

Well, I'm no Lego historian, nor do I play one on TV.  But, wasn't the 2x4
brick one of the first pieces produced?  Technically, its a POOP since it
can be made from two 2x2 bricks.  And of course, 2x2's are also POOPs since
they can be made from 4 1x1 bricks.

Clearly, at some point you need bricks bigger than the lowest atomic unit,
which could be considered the 1x1 plate(1).  But we all hate POOPs which we
feel we could make from component pieces.

If you think about it, there seems to be a continuum of POOPiness.  On one
end are the least POOPy pieces, such as the 1x1 plates.  Useful, even
desirable, but if you try to build an entire model from 1x1 plates, you end
up with something that isn't very stable.

On the other end of the continuum would be the highly POOPy pieces; all the
juniorized parts that we hate, but, in the right circumstance, can be used.
But their utility is decreased since their flexibility has been compromised.

So, in my POOPiness scale, the 1x4 and 2x4 bricks are probably the most
optimally POOPy pieces, which seems to correlate to reality, since they are
most common bricks.  Similarly, 1x4 and 2x4 plates fall in this optimally
POOPy range.  Actually, a lot of parts do.

But, now my question: What do people really consider a POOP?  Probably not a
2x4.  But it seems that it is.  So what is the essence of a POOP?  Its more
than a part that can be made from other smaller pieces.

It seems we would need to answer this question before we can answer
Lindsay's question about what was the first POOP.

Kim

(1) Of course, the 1x1 plate doesn't account for the 1/2 offset pieces or
the 1x1 brick with a single stud that gets you 1/5 stud width offsets, or
for slopes or round parts, etc...  But that gets even more complicated!