 General / 26839
26838  |  26840
Subject:
Shortcut linking for web interface (was: I believe in GoodWill!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.people.newbie, lugnet.faq
Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 2001 20:24:04 GMT

There are several useful ways to quickly make links that work in the LUGNET
Web reader.  I believe this is XML.

EXAMPLE 1
To link to a set by number type the word "set" followed by a colon and the
set number witin arrow brackets without any spaces
<set:5987>
This is displayed as you typed it, but hot linked to the guide page, the
same as if you had typed in
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/5987

EXAMPLE 2
You can also add a space after the set number (but inside the arrow bracket)
and add any text, the name of the set for example. When you do this the
"code" goes away and all that is displayed is the text like this
Dino Research Compound

EXAMPLE 3
You can also use this to do a one word keyword search for a set or theme. If
you wanted to list any sets with the name "blacktron" you would type
something like this
<set:blacktron>
This brings up a search result based on the keyword blacktron and resulting
in one set with Blacktron in the name plus two theme listing, Blacktron I &
Blacktron II.
Of course you must be careful because if you try to do a multi-word search,
only the first word is searched and the following words are displayed, as in
Example 2.

EXAMPLE 3
You can link to parts in the parts ref the same as you would to sets in the
set guide, like so
<part:3001>
Brick 2x4
<part:Brick>

EXAMPLE 4
The <set: > and <part: > are the only two I know about. I'm waiting for the
member link to be implemented, somewhere down the line, like so,
<member:339> linking to my member page
http://www.lugnet.com/people/members/?m=339

Of course these only work in the Web interface.  Those who subscribe by
newsreaders and email will see all of the text you type without the benefit
of being able to hot-link directly to the page.

Hope you found this helpful,
Ben Gatrelle
<member:339>